Eden Book Club: The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy Discussion
Only a handful of books have made me laugh out loud. I’m talking full-throttled, hands holding my belly, I-can’t-suppress-my too-wide-smile-even-though-I’m-in-public laughter. The Hitchhiker’s Guide To Galaxy is one of those books.
Douglas Adam’s Sci-Fi novel is just plain fun to read. The plot is wildly absurd, interactions are over-the-top, and character (and planet) names are ludicrous. But The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy owns its ridiculousness and leans into it – that’s why I love this story.
Spill all your thoughts on this book in the discussion section below. I can’t wait to hear them!
Book Club Discussion Guidelines
Discussion posts (like this one) will have a series of questions as starting points. But honestly, you can talk about whatever you want regarding the books. You don’t have to answer all (or any) of the questions. I’d still love to hear your thoughts!
You can join in regardless of whether you’ve read, not read, or DNF’d the book! I understand that not everyone has the time to read or finish the book so I try to include a general discussion question as well to make the discussions more inclusive.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy Discussion Questions
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy is widely referenced in popular culture. What references did you know of beforehand? What references were you surprised to learn about?
- How would you describe the humor in The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy? Were there any scenes where the comedy clicked (or didn’t click) with you?
- How do you feel about the main philosophies presented in The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy?
- Douglas Adams uses many rhetorical devices in The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy. What rhetorical devices resonated with you the most? What rhetorical devices didn’t work for you? (side note: if you want a quick refresher on rhetorical devices, here’s a cheat sheet).
- Which characters did you like the most (or least)?
- What aspects of The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy have aged well (and not so well)?
- If you updated the entry in The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy for Earth (before its demolition), how would you describe it?
- Why do you think the primary villains (The Vogons) are only present briefly in the book?
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy was written in the third-person perspective. If The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy was narrated in first-person perspective, whose perspective would you be the most interested in reading about?
- Why do you think the answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42?
August 2023 Book Club Pick
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! Of course, these are just starter questions. There are no right or wrong answers. Feel 100% free to discuss anything regarding the book (or otherwise). I’ll be jumping in and responding as well!