Eden Book Club: The Dinosaur Artist Discussion
I first read The Dinosaur Artist many years ago. I remember quickly pulling through the pages, staying up all night to frantically find out how the story of Eric Prokopi ended. I kept reminding myself, this isn’t a story. This is real. This is nonfiction. But it was a tough argument. I hadn’t felt so immersed in, so lost in, so ravenous for a nonfiction story since reading Richard Preston’s The Hot Zone close to a decade earlier.
The Dinosaur Artist is the book that made me fall back in love with nonfiction (had Eden Travel Book Club existed when I first read The Dinosaur Artist, I would have immediately added it to our yearly book list). I’m so grateful that I finally get a chance to chat about this crazy, dinosaur-rooted romp with you.
Feel free to rant or rave away in the comments below! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Book Club Discussion Guidelines
Discussion posts (like this one) will have a series of questions as starting points. But honestly, you can talk about whatever you want regarding the books (or questions). You don’t have to answer all (or any) of the questions. I’d still love to hear your thoughts!
You can join in regardless of whether you’ve read, not read, or DNF’d the book! I understand that not everyone has the time to read or finish the book so I try to include a general discussion question as well to make the discussions more inclusive.
The Dinosaur Artist Discussion Questions
- How familiar were you with dinosaurs or paleontology before reading this book? How do you feel about your paleontology knowledge now?
- How do you feel about the structure and pacing and tone of The Dinosaur Artist?
- Does Paige Williams’ provide sufficient context for each of the major points in The Dinosaur Artist? How do you feel about the way she presented context?
- How do you feel about Paige Williams’ depiction of Eric Prokopi?
- If you had a chance to ask Eric Prokopi one question, what would it be?
- Did this book shape how you view museums in any way? What were your thoughts on museums before and after reading this book?
- How do you feel about Paige Williams’ writing style? Do you think it suited the book?
- How did you feel about The Dinosaur Artist’s descriptions of Mongolia?
- How did you feel about the direction of the T. bataar case? What direction did you expect the case to take?
- How do you feel about the practice of fossil hunting? Where would you draw the line between science and commerce?
December 2022 Book Club Pick
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! Of course, these are just starter questions. There are no right or wrong answers. Feel 100% free to discuss anything regarding the book (or otherwise). I’ll be jumping in and responding as well!