Eden Book Club: The Phantom Of The Opera Discussion
The Phantom Of The Opera is my “everything” book. If I had to pick one novel that perfectly reflects my reading taste, it would be Gaston Leroux’s classic set in the Palais Garnier.
I fell for The Phantom Of The Opera’s theatricality and musicality. The story is over-the-top; Erik’s voice is “heroically sweet,” “gloriously insidious,” and “irresistibly triumphant.” The way Gaston Leroux describes sound is always bewitching.
The Phantom Of The Opera is a book for lovers of detective fiction, gothic tragedies, and clever comedy.
I can’t wait to hear how you feel about it! Let me know all your thoughts in the discussion below!
Book Club Discussion Guidelines
Discussion posts (like this one) will have a series of questions as starting points. But honestly, you can talk about whatever you want regarding the books. You don’t have to answer all (or any) of the questions. I’d still love to hear your thoughts!
You can join in regardless of whether you’ve read, not read, or DNF’d the book! I understand that not everyone has the time to read or finish the book so I try to include a general discussion question as well to make the discussions more inclusive.
The Phantom Of The Opera Discussion Questions
- How did you feel about the atmosphere of The Phantom Of The Opera?
- Which places (places you’ve been to or ones on your wishlist) do you think evoke the same feelings as the Opéra Garnier?
- How do you feel about the choice of narrator?
- What drives the Opera Ghost’s actions? Why do you think Erik behaves the way he does?
- How do you feel about the way Leroux describes music?
- How does Andrew Lloyd Webber’s adaptation of The Phantom Of The Opera compare to the novel?
- How did you feel about Christine, Raoul, Erik, and The Persian at the start of the novel? Did your feelings for these characters change throughout the book? If so, at what point and why?
- Many Phantom Of The Opera remakes have removed The Persian, one of the most critical characters in Gaston Leroux’s story. Why do you think The Persian was removed?
- How effective was Leroux’s mapping of The Phantom Of The Opera’s mystery elements?
- Edgar Allen Poe coined the term ratiocination, a process of deduction rooted in observation [source]. In The Phantom Of The Opera, how are the Opera Ghost’s tricks revealed through analytical reasoning?
November 2023 Book Club Pick
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! Of course, these are just starter questions. There are no right or wrong answers. Feel 100% free to discuss anything regarding the book (or otherwise). I’ll be jumping in and responding as well!