101 road trip questions for couples
After the 160-hour mark, I was tired. We both were. The long highways. The cool February air. The early morning check-ins. Long drives had begun to feel like heavy-weights tethered to our feet. And I wanted to take back the symbol of the open road, wipe away the blemishes we’d made, and turn it into freedom.
Early 2020, my partner and I made a pact to explore a new state every weekend. We both had (and still have) full-time day jobs so this meant pre-packing a carry-on, hidden beneath a pile of snacks and sweaters, in the backseats of our car. After 5 PM on Fridays, we’d drive upstate or downstate (or east or west) depending on our mood and crash in a hotel around 1 AM (so we could explore a new city over the course of a short weekend).
Once February came around, the rhythm of our creaky old car’s wheels no longer lulled me to sleep and I started to realize just how long these drives were. A part of me wanted to stay awake long enough to feel the winding small town roads beneath my feet (in a quiet and meditative way) and a part of me wanted to talk until the moonlight split under the sun.
Looking back on those times, I can confidently say I loved the unfiltered chats my partner and I had on the road. It brought us closer together. And long drives (that were beginning to push us to the brink) suddenly began to feel too short.
Hence, this post. Road trip questions for couples.
I’ve split these road trip questions for couples into categories so it’s easier for you to sift through. Feel free to start anywhere (with any prompt that catches your eye)! Don’t be afraid to modify these road trip questions in any way you like. They aren’t set and this is by no means a be-all-end-all list.
I’m writing this compilation of road trip questions for couples as a starting point. It’s a foundation that I hope builds into memories (let me know if you try them).
So without further ado, here are 101 road trip questions for couples.
Disclosure: Heads up, this post contains some affiliate links (the two audiobook links above), which means I may get a commission if you make a purchase. Don’t feel pressured to buy anything. I still love that you’re here, reading my content (side note: I’d probably suggest getting a coffee or tea first though because my blog posts tend to be long). To find out more, you can read our full affiliate disclosure right here.
- If you could only visit one destination, where would you go?
- What is one place you’re afraid of visiting but have always dreamt of going?
- If you could live anywhere in the world right now, where would you live?
- What is one travel memory you’d love to recreate?
- What is the top international cuisine you’d like to try?
- If you won a lottery, where would you travel to (and how long would you travel)?
- Do you have a bucket list? If yes, what are the top ten things on your bucket list?
- If you could travel around the world for a year, what would be your theme (UNESCO World Heritage locations, National Parks, Biblical Sites, etc)?
- What is the top event you’d like to attend in your life (Oktoberfest, Holi, Mardi Gras, etc)?
- What is the craziest travel experience you’ve dreamt about?
Life Goals Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “9-5” – Dolly Parton
- If you could do any job in the world right now, what would you do?
- What makes you feel alive every day?
- What makes your eyes light up?
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What are you most excited for in the next 1,5, and 10 years?
- Where do you see us after retirement?
- Who are your biggest inspirations in life?
- What could you do for 24 hours a day?
- What were you interested in as a child that faded as an adult?
- Do you believe in chasing dreams?
P.S. This section (life goals road trip questions for couples) is a hint for my big January announcement (*wink*).
Fantasizing Travel – Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Cardigan” – Taylor Swift
- Which fictional destination would you love to travel to?
- Which fictional world would you like to live in?
- If you could go back in time, what time period would you love to explore?
- What’s your favorite travel book?
- Is there a travel movie you like to watch (and re-watch)?
- What show speaks to your travel style?
- What book do you read when you miss traveling?
- Which tv or movie set would you love to step foot in?
- What is your favorite quote about travel?
- What fictional destination do you wish was real?
Foodie Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Le Festin” – Camille
- What is one food you don’t want to try while traveling? Why?
- Have you ever had fresh seafood?
- Would you go vegan for a week (or more)?
- What’s the most underrated dish you’ve tried?
- What is the most overrated dish you’ve tried?
- What’s a hyped meal you want to try?
- If you could take a cooking class in one country, where you would go?
- Have you ever been to a Michelin Star restaurant?
- What’s one meal (from home) you miss whilst traveling?
- Nutrition aside, what food could you eat every day for the rest of your life?
Would You Rather Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Positions” – Ariana Grande
- Would you rather spend a weekend on the beach or by the mountains?
- Would you rather drink coffee for the rest of your life or tea?
- Would you rather go glamping or camping?
- Would you rather plan a trip down to the last detail or scrap any planning at all?
- Do you prefer small town or city life?
- Would you rather fly into a destination or drive (if possible)?
- Monetary considerations aside, would you rather travel budget or luxury?
- Do you prefer street food or dining in?
- Would you rather visit Eastern or Western Europe?
- Would you rather travel solo or with a friend?
Adventure Travel Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Stronger” – Kelly Clarkson
- Would you ever go whitewater rafting? If yes, where?
- Have you ever been bungee jumping? What was the best, worst, and scariest part?
- Would you ever go rappelling? If yes, at what height would you say no?
- Would you go cage diving?
- Would you ever skydive from the Burj Khalifa?
- Would you do the CN Tower Edge Walk?
- Would you ever mountain bike Bolivia’s Death Road?
- Would you try ice swimming?
- Have you ever been surfing? If yes, what’s the biggest wave you’ve ridden?
- Would you dine at Dinner In The Sky (any location)?
P.P.S. You can switch up “would you ever” with “have you ever been” (and vice versa) to create a completely different question.
Supportive Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Stand By You” – Rachel Platten
- What do you believe your calling is?
- What do you find overwhelming at work?
- What’s one thing you tend to procrastinate on?
- How can I encourage you?
- How can I help you more?
- What are three things I can improve on?
- What do you need to do to chase your dreams?
- What does affection mean to you?
- Where do you see us in the future?
- Do we have any dreams in common?
Deep Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Million Years Ago” by Adele
- Do you have any regrets in life?
- When do you feel most vulnerable?
- What is your biggest fear in life?
- What’s your biggest stress right now?
- What are you passionate about?
- If given a chance, would you change your major?
- What’s the biggest risk you’re willing to take?
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
- Who are your biggest inspirations in life?
- What is your biggest failure?
Romantic Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “All Of Me” by John Legend
- What’s a weird quirk I have that you find cute or endearing?
- What did you first notice about me when we met?
- What do you miss most about us when we’re away from each other?
- What’s been your favorite date during our relationship?
- What’s the most romantic language?
- How do we balance each other?
- What about our relationship makes you happy?
- What do you love most about me?
- If you wrote a note to me right now, what would it say?
- What are three things about me that make you smile?
Intimate Road Trip Questions For Couples
Road Trip Song: “Nobody But You” by Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani
- What’s your love language? (if you don’t know, you can take the quiz here)
- How would you describe our relationship in three words?
- Do you believe in soulmates?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What makes you feel respected?
- What does romance mean to you?
- What makes you excited to be around me?
- What songs would make up a playlist of our relationship?
- Do you love yourself?
- Do you trust yourself?
- Do you trust me?
Did you enjoy this list of road trip questions for couples? What road trip questions for couples would you add to this list?