Yesterday, I realized my bullet journal inspiration page only has travel proverbs in it (and of course, the standard Ibn Battuta quote).
Weird, I know.
Travel proverbs are a different species of regular travel quotes. They are more poetic, more metaphorical, and have more depth.
I guess, there’s a hidden beauty to age-old adages. And while they are a little cliche, I personally love them. They never fail to make me feel inspired. But more importantly, they never fail to make me feel grateful.
We have one beautiful planet that we get to explore every day. Mother Nature is truly amazing.
So without further ado, here are twenty wise travel proverbs from around the world.
20 Wise Travel Proverbs From Around The World
- “Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.” – Native American Proverb
- “Earth is the queen of beds.” – Namibian Proverb
- “The moon and the stars are not above us, the Earth is on the other side of our feet.” – Moroccan Proverb
- “We are all visitors to this time, this place we are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love, and then we return home.” – Australian Aboriginal Proverb
- “The world is the traveler’s inn.” – Afghan Proverb
- “A day of traveling will bring a basketful of learning.” – Vietnamese Proverb
- “Wisdom can be found traveling.” – Sri Lankan Proverb
- “Learn a new language and get a new soul.” – Czech Proverb
- “If you can’t live longer, live deeper.” – Italian Proverb
- “It is better to see one time than to hear one hundred times.” – Mongolian Proverb
- “He who wants to travel far spares his mount.” – French Proverb
- “People get to know one another when traveling.” – Bantu Proverb
- “He who is outside his door has the hardest part of his journey behind him.” – Dutch Proverb
- “Little by little, one travels far.” – Spanish Proverb
- “You will reach your destination even though you travel slowly.” – Icelandic Proverb
- “He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Only one who wanders finds new paths.” – Norwegian Proverb
- “Traveling is a return to the essentials.” – Tibetan Proverb
- “Your feet will bring you to where your heart is.” – Irish Proverb
- “We must never forget the explorer’s spirit.” – Japanese Proverb
Did you enjoy this list of travel proverbs? Do you have a favorite travel proverb? Let me know in the comments below!